Our Educational Message

Hi, and welcome to our blog. This space is designed to share ideas and methodologies that we use to teach Turkish teenagers. In particular, there is a strong focus on ICT-ELT, which means if you like visual and technological support for your style of teaching, this blog is for you. My colleague, Brentson Ramsey, has been working alongside me for three years. He is also a big proponent of the ICT-ELT Paradigm, which means he will also be posting from his own teaching perspective on the blog.

2010 was the beginning of this new journey, and although there is no definitive ICT-ELT road map available for everyone to follow, it is exciting to explore the technological means to make teaching more fun and affective for students. Our main message is for teachers to ADOPT & ADAPT the paradigm shift for their own needs, and remember that
ICT-ELT is a TOOL, NOT a SOLUTION.

Saturday 7 June 2014

The WRITING PROCESS: FOCUSING on ORGANIZATION


Although students may not like Reading and Writing while they are at high school, there is no doubt that they will have become reasonably proficient in both skills should they wish to go on to tertiary education.  That means, for me as a prep. teacher or hazırlık oğretmenı (in Turkish), I have the opportunity to try and convince my students that if they have the fundemental building blocks for a well-organized academic essay, it will go a long way to support them throughout their high school and university life. Many of you might comment that this way is too restrictive for the creative process, and I would respond that I know it is very prescriptive, and controlling. However, it gives EFL-students the basic blocks for building on their own creative process once they have mastered the organizational model of this framework.  That would be why I believe it is a worthy model to use while teaching the writing process in the early years of high school academic writing.

So, I prepared a powerpoint that goes through each part of the organizational process, and to which I will now make you party via pics.  The original powerpoint can be found HERE












So, how does this work in practice?  I will post snips of a student's work where you can see how she used her online journal, penzuclassroom, to write up a response based on the frmaework described above.  She then received color-coded feedback:

PINK= PUNCTUATION  
BLUE = BAD SPELLING/WRONG WORD
LEMON = LOGIC OR WEAK IDEA  
GREEN = GRAMMAR
ORANGE = ORGANISATION 



post-feedback draft


The drafts were done using teacher feedback and academic organizational models set up and checked by me.  However, what makes it exciting is how this students has managed to transfer the information, and done her own process by producing a superb draft for her final portfolio.  Here it is below, and remember this girl is fifteen, Turkish and had no feedback for this submitted essay.


What makes me very pleased is that Gözde, the student who produced this great work, has taken to the system very comfortably; the system and framework that she can now hone and develop, so as to identify her own academic writing style for the future. If teachers have any doubt that the Writing Process doesn't work, they should just have a wee read of Gözde's essays. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi David,
    I've just been checking out your excellent blog to see if I can steal some ideas for the workshop I'm about to do for Japanese secondary school teachers in the Tsukuba area.
    Your work is inspiring and frustrating all at the same time. I wish I could use Camtasia to give video feedback to student writing the way you do. Actually, I was first introduced to this idea by a friend of mine who did it with her writing students. This is back in the days of Jing. She had an unusually small class, about 20 students. Took her ages to give feedback to all the students - 4 hours I think she said. I wish I had her dedication - and yours. This semester I had 2 writing classes of 40 students each. Next semester I'll have 3. I'll probably have 120 students. No sense complaining. Other professors have classes of 100 students. Still, teaching writing to classes that size is challenging. I'm going to come up with a way for them to do peer and self editing because there's no way I can handle correcting 80-100 papers a week. I've been incredibly unsuccessful at teaching peer and self editing in the past, so I'll be looking for new ideas. Anyway, keep up the good work mate. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete